Friday, July 5, 2013

I am one of the unemployed.



Back in the December of 2011 I graduated with a degree in Anthropology focusing archaeology from Arizona State University. I knew it was going to be a tough market to find a job because of the low economy, what I got my degree in, from friends who graduated before me, and lack of experience. Before I graduated I made sure I stopped in school’s career services office to get help. The woman there helped me figure what jobs interested me and helped me improve upon my resume. With her help and starting looking for job early I thought things would be easier, come to find out it didn’t.

Roughly a year after graduating all seemed hopeless. I had only gotten a few interviews including one with a specialized temp agency where the recruiter had no clue what to do with me since I had a degree in Anthropology. I knew things were going to be a little rough with the recruiter because of my degree but I brought my Auto-Cad portfolio to show him I had experience with Cad. Not long after the interview I got an e-mail stating that I don’t get the temp position because company that was looking for a drafter didn’t not get the requested extra floor space.

Things turned out to get slightly better right before the one year mark since I got my degree. I got an interview with a local non-profit for part-time job. After what I thought was a good interview I got the news later that day at a friend’s party that I got the job with the non-profit. I was hired for the Holiday season working in customer service and luckily was kept on for the rest of the busy season. Things where good but after a few more months once late spring early summer hit I was laid off because attendance was down and they did not need so many staff. 

Now after four months since being laid off I am still looking for a job. I have gone to a few interviews where I think things went well. One of the interviews was with another non-profit organization for a part-time customer service job, which I did not get and never heard why. The second interview was more of a meet and greet with a fast food company opening a new location, I never heard back from them. My latest interview was with a insurance company to looking to find new call center staff. My interview went rather well and the woman even told me that she was going to recommend me. A few days later I took their online tests, which I found out later that my scores were not what they wanted. It was back to square one.

I am currently looking at possibly going back to school to get some sort of certificate in Auto-Cad or GIS. I have started to apply for Auto-Cad jobs hoping my school experience will be experience, plus I am making CAD portfolio. Another thing I am looking into is finding a job in Jacksonville, FL so that I can be closer to my grandfather who lives there.

No comments:

Post a Comment